View Single Post
Old 30-11-2018, 11:51 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi Andrew,

I would rate the Nikon Nav 17mm HW as the single very best eyepiece I have ever used, just slightly in front of the 12.5mm Docter. I put both of those just slightly ahead of Pentax XW's, Delos and ETHOS which are also at the top of the tree.

However, notwithstanding it's a TAK, I have a heavy heart that such a wonderful eyepiece lives in a 60mm Telescope I hope it also finds focuser time in something somewhat larger.

Cheers
John B

Hi John
I also have the 12.5mm Docter and Swaro 25x50 w zoom with a Baader vip modular barlow and that's it apart from bino pairs and i think as you never looked through anything better than the two you have mentioned and TBH everything else i have viewed through hasn't done it for me like those two do,I prefer refractors and low power viewing and have SW BD 100 and 80mm scopes which contrary to what some might think are more than worthy to use these eyepieces with in my book.
The Docter is like looking through an 88 deg ortho with 20mm ER and the Nikons perfectly flat sharp pinpoint stars across the whole FOV and satin black backdrop cannot be bettered but comes at a price and well worth it