View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for posting your wonderful list. I guess if you could see all these in say a 12-14" 'scope, you would be entitled to call yourself an experienced observer -- and now a thought occurs to me.

Perhaps this should be seen as a southern observer's equivalent to the Herschel 400? I wonder if there is a way we can (like the Herschel 400 or the Herschel 800) organise perhaps through IIS or elsewhere a certificate for completing (you have to submit observing notes for verification) a list like this.

Perhaps with just a few small modifications (additions and subtractions), it could be bought down to a 10" level (several are a very, very tough ask in 10" -- if not impossible like the Reticulum Dwarf) which would allow an even larger number of people to participate.

Of all these in the list, I believe I'm only missing a few. A couple of the variables and the Dk nebula in Lupus SL-7. I'd never heard of that object before. I've just had a look on the DSS/Megastar and it is a striking object very worthy of inclusion. Will take a look at it next new moon if the weather allows (if ever).

Just a thought.

Thanks very much for putting it up.

Best,

Les D
Hi Les and all,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I originally planned to submit the list to the Astronomical League. A large number of the visitors who come down here from the Northern Hemisphere set there observing program to the Astronomical Leagues' "Southern Skies Telescopic Club List", so that they can gain their AL certificate.

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclu...y/sskylist.htm

I proposed to submit this list to the Astronomical League as an "advanced" list for the repeat visitors. I haven't done that because the list needs more work on it to eliminate the errors and to be honest I lost some motivation a couple of years back to keep working on it, due to lack of time. There are some minor errors in terms of target position and magnitude etc which take a lot of time to check. I had checked the first 69 targets and provided an active link to a file downloaded from Robert Erdmann's NGC/IC website, which provided observing notes and a DSS image of each target. That website has now gone, so I can't complete that part of the project. On top of that the list needs further checking which I haven't had time to do. There are a number of other "glowing" errors which would need to be fixed, although not major they would not be acceptable for Astronomical League purposes. For instance at line 455, The Lambda Centauri Cluster is listed as Collinder 249. This is incorrect, it should be IC 2944. As I understand it, Collinder 249 is associated with IC 2944, but not part of it. At line 557 I have listed IC 2944 and called it "The Lambda Centauri Cluster" and identified it as a bright nebula. It should be IC 2948 and named as "the Lambda Centauri Nebula" or the "Running Chicken Nebula". Whilst the naming of this associated target area is possibly the most confusing in the entire sky, it should still be sorted out. I am sure there are some other similar errors and duplications, which would need to be checked and corrected.

I would be happy to have Mike post the list on IIS and call it "Bambos 600" and issue an IIS certificate to those that complete it. Computer GOTO should be allowed as its part of modern observing equipment IMO.

As time goes on I will sort out the errors and add a couple of additional targets in place of any duplications. There are certainly enough targets there at present, that are correct, to keep most people busy for the next couple of years, without worrying about half a dozen minor errors.

If anyone does identify any errors I would be happy for them to pass these on to me.

In terms of editing the list to create a target list for smaller scopes. There are a couple of ways to attack this.

eg. One could edit the list and eliminate the difficult targets, but difficulty often can be as much condition dependant, as scope dependant. Another option may be to award say a 'Bambos 600 4" certificate' for observing 400 of the targets on the list in a 4" or smaller telescope and a 'Bambos 600 10" certificate" for observing 500 of the targets on the list in a 10" or smaller telescope. This gives the observer a little more flexibility based on their conditions.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
John B