View Single Post
Old 27-11-2013, 07:04 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.M View Post
Hi guys, I have been thinking about the possibility of creating a superfast scope for doing narrowband imaging from my house. I have a GSO 8 inch f4 in pieces and thought that would be a good starting point. What I am thinking of doing is creating a carbon fiber truss tube to hold the mirrors. The main thing that I want to do is eliminate every point of movement in the system, which I feel is the main weakness of the scopes. This would involve making my own spider as the stock one is too weak and redesigning the mirror cell which I also think is a major weakness.

My eventual plans would be to reduce the scope to f2.8 with one of the ASA reducers, but I am a little worried that the level of correction will not be up to scratch. The only images I can find online have weird stars, and I don't know if that is because of the operator not getting collimation perfect or their scope didn't hold collimation well enough for f2.8 imaging. It would be an expensive exercise to get one and then decide that it wasn't corrected enough for me. If anyone has experience with these reducers, specifically with the kaf 8300 that would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively if anyone has suggestions on any part of the build that would be helpful too.
Been down this path and as you said changed the spider which helped tremendously. I've also modified the primary cell mounting and that made it rock solid and hold collimation. So no problem stiffening it. I have reservations bringing it down to F/2.8 though. I'm not sure if you'll manage to correct the whole imaging circle with shorter FL.