View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Matt

I purchased a CF tripod as I had a couple of heavy weight photographic tripods that tended to get left behind, as they were too heavy or too long (folded) to carry for extended periods.

I purchased a Giottos MT 8250 which is CF and has 4 leg sections; I wanted 4 sections to make the tripod as compact as possible when folded, so it can dangle from a waist belt on a home made holster, leaving my hands free.

I tried carrying a tripod via a shoulder sling but found that with either a camera bag (shoulder strap) or rucksack and a camera strap around my neck, I just had too many straps draped over my torso.

The Giottos MT 8250 cost me $250 (no head) from Discount Digital Photographics who have an outlet in Brisbane now. I note that they show the Giottos MT 8251 which has 3 section legs vs. the MT 8250 4 section legs. The main difference is the folded height. 3 legs are probably more stable than 4 legs – the 4th legs are quite spindly on my MT 8250.

The MT 8250 and 8251 allows you to remove the centre column which I have found very useful on occasions. I have been very pleased with the Giottos design and build quality – they included a nice carry bag, shoulder strap and a tool kit for tightening up fasteners that may work loose with usage and time.

You are more than welcome to drop in and have a look and see how the tripod handles.

Cheers

Dennis