Thread: Scope's-R-us
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2008, 07:10 PM
jase (Jason)

Gee Peter…Not trying to be a smart, but you sure make it sound so difficult to acquire data. Fred summarized it nicely in the CWAS post -

“Ironically, the knowledge/skill divide is down to gear cost. With a PME/RCOS combo, with tools such as Pempro and Tpoint, and following manuals to the letter, proper set up is assured, and it stays that way after set up. Thats what you pay for, this is applied knowledge learnt from manuals, not so much a "creative" input.”

I couldn’t agree more. The more money you sink into the hobby to buy higher end gear, it typically just works. Sure you have your glitches now and then, but don't over-rate it. So we already have a divide to begin with. I do however feel you’ve nailed a key point which undoubtedly everyone is aware of. There is a “distinct advantage” of a permanent observatory over a set up / tear down imaging rig – perhaps worthy of a category of its own – the “true” amateur compared to sitting in a cosy den watching TV while your scope does all the work - amateur? hmmm? Again, where do you draw? As I keep saying, my “upload imaging plan and walk away” set up isn’t in the spirit when you consider the list of items you just mentioned through…polar alignment, point refinements, etc. I rarely have to worry about those – it’s a simple rig that I have "dialled in" to just work.

This is great. I’m really happy that this has provoked the input of many – there’s been more than 2 cents worth here, probably now up to a dollar. I like the suggestions provided. Perhaps the people “in the know” are listening or simply don’t care. I hope for the sake of future comps, it’s not the latter. As we’ve discovered, the current rules are “interpretable” – which is not necessarily a good thing when we see technology shift or emerging trends. As many said at CWAS, the standard this year has risen yet again - there is a reason for this. Amateurs have access to ever improving equipment and processing techniques.

I should make myself clear that my intention was to not rub people up the wrong way. I apologise if that was how some of my responses were interpreted. Electronic debates don’t always work well. Also don’t worry Mike, I’m certainly not taking any of this personal. My stance has not changed – the stake is firmly in the ground. This “Jase vs. Goliath” concept will undoubtedly come up again until we have clarity from the organisers.