View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Thanks Rob for the advice on the QHY8. It seems these are often sold. Are they difficult to use? How do you control the Exposure times etc, is it all done with software or are thier controls on the connector box..

I have notice one guy selling one on IIS at the moment and claims he is going back to DSLR. Why would he do that if these items are so good. If this is the way to go I am happy to go that way. It just spun me out when I had my heart set on the 550d Canon. I have been using a 300D and am not sure if the 550D is as good, worse or about the same?

If others agree that I should go down the road of the QHY8 I will do so as I still have the 300D that I can also use anytime. It's having live view and a higher pixel rating that lead me this way in the first place.

Really appreciate the input as it will help me make the best choice for my money as I don't have alot to spare.

Regards
Mardy
Yes, I almost linked to the QHY8Pro on sale. The pro allows you to set a fixed temp I believe, although the Sony chip in those is supposed to be so clean you almost don't need to worry about library darks. I've only ever used a 450D and QHY9 so not an expert.

In fact the whole CCD versus DSLR may stir some debate. There is definitely a learning curve going to CCD and more cables and software to learn. FWIW I think the following are fair to say:

- a one shot colour cam is far easier to learn than a mono with filterwheel etc and easier to process images
- some people get put off my the jump from DSLR to Mono CCD but most that go to OSC are (very) happy

A lot depends on where you think you currently are I would say. I was getting frustrated with the noise in my 450D images in summer in particular and thought I'd get more resolution from the QHY9 with mono pixels. It delivered on both fronts and but does involve more cables and fiddling.

Any QHY8 or OSC CCD people want to comment....?
I'm just wracking my brain now to try to think of extra money surprises with CCDs (there always seems to be something with this hobby.. )