View Single Post
Old 30-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Paul,
Sorry I missed a few details , so re wrote the procedure again and tried on some old data M17 capture in Sydney back in September using my ZWO Duoband filter
Tried 3 different composites plus basic LRGB and come up with some weird and wonderful colours so the Composite module worked for me both with 2 colour blends and normal LRGB

In DSS just make sure in Settings under FITS files you select the correct Bayer Matrix for your camera ( most probably RGGB )
Also in Transformation you select Adaptive Homogeneity Directed ( ADH ) Interpolation
When finish stacking “Do Not Adjust” the RGB levels , leave stacked image as is and save as FITS image 32bit integer then your ready for loading the saved stacked FITS file into Startools
I’ll send you my procedure for DSS as well following this post

Here’s the revised Startools Composite procedure -

Composite Module Startools V1.6
Using OSC Camera and Multi Narrowband OSC Filters eg ZWO Duoband Filter

1/ Open Startools
2/ Select Composite
3/ Change Luminance Colour setting to L + Synthetic L from RGB Mono ( leave all other settings as default )
3/ Create a Synthetic Composite of say “Cyan” by selecting Green tab and load your selected stacked file ( data )
4/ Select Blue tab and load your selected stacked file ( data )
5/ Leave exposure sliders as default
7/ Press Keep , then Linear
8/ Now press “Save” and then this will take you to your DSS folder and nominated stacked data file. The “New Composite” TIFF file is now ready to “Save As” so just press Save.
9/ Press Compose again
10/ Now change the Luminance Colour selector to L+ Synthetic L from RGB , RGB
11/ Now load your selected stacked file ( data ) by selecting Luminance tab, open and load
12/ Now load your selected stacked file ( data ) by selecting Red tab , open and load
13/ Press Green tab and select and load your New Composite ( Green Blue )
14/ Now press Blue tab and select and load your New Composite ( Green Blue )
15/ Press Keep and then Linear
16/ Now process your image as normal ......Bin , AutoDev, Crop, Wipe etc... you will be processing in Synthetic Luminance or Mono until you hit the Colour module
17/ When you hit the Colour module “do not touch” the presets at the top like Constancy , Legacy , SHO , Duoband etc... as these work better for Mono cameras
Use Scientific Style and Artistic Detail Aware Style and play around with your Red , Green and Blue colour bias sliders.Depending on your Composite blend you may have to reduce the Green bias quite a bit due to the Bayer Matrix sampling 2 pixels ( but not always , it depends on the object )
You can try changing the LRGB Method Emulation to either of the 5 presets but I find either Straight Luminance or RGB Ratio CIELab Luminance Retention work well
18/ Additionally you can create a “Magenta Composite” by loading Red and Blue in the procedure above or even Green / Red but I’ve never tried that.You also adjust the exposure times a bit and experiment
19/ You can even just load basic LRGB in Composite without creating a Synthetic colour but in the Composite module you need to change the Luminance Colour to L+ Synthetic L from RGB , RGB then load your stacked file data once into Luminance, Red ,Green and Blue but increase the exposure time in Green to double that of Red and Blue ( 2hrs 120m ( 7200s ) because of the Bayer Matrix in OSC colour cameras green samples 2 pixels
Then press Keep and Linear and process as normal , Bin, AutoDev, Crop, Wipe etc...again you will be processing in Synthetic Luminance Mono until you hit the Colour Module.Again don’t use the presets at the top like Constancy, Legacy, SHO etc..... Experiment by changing your Style from Scientific ( Colour Constancy ) and Artistic, Detail Aware. Also change and try different LRGB Method Emulation.

Hope all the above makes sense
Good Luck !!!

Martin