View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Assuming you have collected/created a valid PSF in the first place..? I am thinking that correct and judicious application is the key here. I have seen deconed galaxy data for example that just doesn't look right and the detail features look to have just been made more like point sources

Good discussion

Mike
Spot on. If the PSF is not correct, the results will be wrong. Using the stars to get the PSF is the way to go - guaranteed to be the appropriate PSF if the stars are isolated and not saturated. If using deconvolution as a sharpening tool with "guessed" PSF, it is possible to really mess up an image.

Nothing you don't already know, but attached image shows effect of decon on a complex image - PSF was taken from stars. Looks to me that deconvolution is not making up detail - just peeling back a layer of blur when compared to the VLT image (of course it is nothing like as good as the VLT image, but its heading the right way). This is as far as the deconvolution could go on this image due to noise, but it may be possible to go even further with more signal (aaugh, not mega data!!) Regards Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (deconcomparo.jpg)
99.3 KB165 views

Last edited by Shiraz; 07-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.