View Single Post
Old 30-07-2009, 11:41 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Good things come to those who wait? Great report, pgch...(edit ) Congrats on the great session.
Thanks! I'll bet my life that the next clear sky will be on a full moon 100 years after I'm dead, as per usual, Melbourne style. Living in a sub-arctic maritime climate which is identical to the Svalbards really sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_K View Post
Nice report pgch (who's Sab? )!!
It's a mystery to me....

Quote:
Glad you got some clear skies. Some good objects there, hope you get more opportunities!
Cheers -
I have a saying....Every clear sky in Melbourne is 1000 years overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
It was a great night. No moon. No dew. Almost zero clouds. Not too cold, just a bit of wind like you mentioned.

Due to our recent run of bad weather, I also made the most of it until some clouds rolled in from the west at around 2:30 / 3:00 followed by a nice sleep in Sunday morning

I observed and/or imaged many similar targets as above, such as M20, M8, M17, M16, plus NGC 55 for the first time.

Let's hope for some more weather like that some time soon.
I got those clouds at about 3:30am, so it was more or less a full night. Any sooner and I would've dropped a few million F-bombs big time. As far as no dew, no moon and relatively ok seeing, and most of the night cloud free in Melbourne goes, it was a 1 in Million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
Great report pgc ! I'm glad you had some clear sky for a change, mind you 150,000 years of Melbourne cloud is a bit much ! If you recall it was clear sky's for 2 days back in '84 !

Nice detailed report
Yeah my patience expired 149,999 years and 11 months ago. Great to be back at the eyepiece after all the time, but it's over all too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lismore Bloke View Post
Excellent report PGC. You are seeing some seriously faint magnitudes. I wish I had your eyesight!!
Thanks! My eyesight is actually really crappy, infact i't almost as crap as Melbourne's Iceland-like weather. Things 2 metres away become blurry. THe faintest star I was is mag 15.9 (see report), it takes alot of patience and perseverance to see. It's surprising how much more one see after 5-10 minutes studying the field as opposed to a quick glance. i also had a dark hood over my head which probably helped.

Quote:
Attached is a PDF of the area around 7012, made from the CNebulaX program. Hope it helps identify some of the faint fuzzies. Cheers, Paul.
Thanks for helping out, but it turns out that the galaxy in question is not actually plotted on that chart.

Cheers!