View Single Post
Old 22-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
if there was a way to plug something in and remove light pollution, I'd be happy - you know, like a massive overload to the grid
I can think of a cheap solution involving a few motorcyclists and some chains thrown in strategic locations which would give a few hours of instant dark, but it would land you in jail after the cops figure out whodunit.

IMHO it would be better to ramp up a massive campaign to switch off ALL public lighting - including street lighting - in major cities after say midnight on selected Saturday nights near new moon. That way the public can rediscover what they've lost.

Councils should also monitor the crime and accident rates and I'd warrant there is no change. When they figure out what they are spending is being squandered on a non-risk they might begin to rethink lighting policies.

Might be easier to start with an enlightened country town like canberra where there is one authority, though, rather than deal with 40-odd councils in Sydney all well known for their disunity on everything.