View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 03:33 AM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty P View Post
Hi Kirkus,

Sounds like you had a fun time trying to capture the ISS. It is definitely not for the faint hearted. I get a real buzz when I watch an ISS passing.

I can still remember the first time I attempted to capture the ISS. I was set up ready for the passing. A minute passed and still no ISS. Luckily I spotted it rising in the opposite direction behind me. I had to pick up the scope and reposition it. The adrenalin really started to pump.

All in all, it is definitely a difficult task but as you get more and more comfortable following a small dot across that darts across the sky, I'm sure you will be able to capture the ISS.

Keep at it and good luck for next time.

What camera were you using?
It's 480x600 firewire webcam conected to my laptop. I had it set up to record 30 fps. I used the moon as a focusing aid. I focused on it then backed the focuser off a bit. I'm sure I'd have had something had the settings been correct in the capture software. I'll need to learn the same way you did... adjust the camera settings from last time.

I'm pretty sure my gain was way too low this time around, so I'll open it up a bit next time.