View Single Post
Old 18-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
So, you didn't try to use any kind of mesh?
I was thinking, metal woven mesh may give me the additional strength in case of hail impact...
Not once I found this taulbmans stuff. A lot of people where telling me to fiberglass it but I'd done a little of that before and never wanted to deal with it again. I was planning to mesh it and use mix youself bags of acrylic render from bunnings. The mesh simply gives the render something to cling to, I wouldn't have thought it would impart strength. You'll be surprised at just how solid a dome is once built. You might want to check with a paint shop to see if the taulbmans stuff sticks to wood but here it was sticking to everything like you know what to the proverbial blanket and if it's under coated in the first place it should be fine. I think dulux make a similar product.

I had to buy the render, it was $130 for 15L and I used one drum, but I did get the top texture coat off ebay really cheap. I had already sealed the dome with external acrylic from another job and had coated it with a texture paint I found on the bunnings throw out pallet which gave it a sandpaper like texture. If you look in the shutter section of the obs build on my site you'll see the many colours of the dome before it turned white with the render

Here's a pic of where the dome was struck with a cricket ball. It cracked the render so I just slopped some top coat over it to reseal it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0040.JPG)
197.6 KB145 views