View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I agree. One would have thought if there are landacapes etc. in an image, then it should be by definition a nightscspe. I find the category crossover disturbing.

That is not to say nightscapes are not wortiy...they are often simply beautiful images (I am a very big TWAN fan) but I would have thought the whole point of categories is not compare apples with oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I've wanted to get into AP for nearly a year now, and this thread without doubt, further inspires. Not ever having owned an EQ mount, my options are currently limited.

So, I show these wonderful pics to my Wife, and share with her what I'm keen to pursue in future (get the Minister of finance on side, etc).

Her replies:
Space Balloon - "yeah... that's a jellyfish?"
Omega Centauri - "someone swallowed glitter, and threw up?"
A Mountain of Gas in Puppis - "Neverending story intro credits?"
E lucevan le stelle - "Yeah... again?"
Silver Dollar Galaxy - "dirty stove - better clean it!".

At this point, it was evident she was... less inspired than I. My hopes for saving for a good EQ mount faltered... I had no words.

What can I say to this? Help a brother out...
hi andy, looks like you have an uphill battle there. however you can still take great shots on an alt-az which is what i believe you are using - particularly on the brighter objects. just take a look at cometcatcher's setup, yes while it is equatorial the subs are no longer than 30 seconds. you just need to remember to take a lot more of them to iron out noise (think hours not minutes...). i used to also take 20 sec shots on my goto dob when starting out, yes you get a bit of field rotation on the outside of the frame after stacking but it is fine after a small crop. you can definitely squeeze more out of your existing setup while you start hiding away some $ every pay