View Single Post
Old 17-04-2017, 12:17 PM
glend (Glen)

Normally i don't dither with this camera. I used to dither everything when using my mono cooled DSLR, as it had a bad column. I have not noticed a pattern noise problem in my 1600 images and gave had no comments about it from those looking at them. To me dithering wastes a significant amount of time, as you need to allow settle time as well, so your probably looking at 10-12s. On long sub narrowband thats not an issue but if your shooting short subs, dithering after every one is a big additive to overall time required. I could see dithering after maybe every 10 to 20 subs, and there was a thread about that on CN. I can set that interval up in SGP. Also consider this, if i am shooting short unguided subs, there is likely to be some 'natural drift', despite near perfect PA, which could likely replace dithering as pixels shift over a significant series of subs. These are things to explore, but first i want to try f10 unguided subs. If my stars are good then i will worry about these other things. First i need to clear storage space and get the new TB drive connected.