Thread: Ngc5139
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks everyone for the comments and compliments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Oh, wow! In the next life, we're going to have to have adaptive optics.

The resolution is just stunning.

Lovely colour and contrast and all that stuff, too.
Yeah AO makes imaging easier in many ways. Getting the bump right is the hard part. The system is getting close to being fully tuned now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Sorry, I should clarify; are you trying to use your SBig AO with a non-SBig imaging camera? I considered doing this, but it looks like you'd need to use an SBIG guide cam. Wondering if it's working for you.

Best

Markus
No, I am not using the AO in that manner. The trouble is that MaximDL despite a lot of tweaking to the plug in for the AOX struggles to operate properly in automation. You need to either persist with Maxim or use the SkyX to control the camera and AO. I have got things now going with MaximDL but I still need to calibrate the drive and AO in Maxim at the start of every session otherwise it fails to operate properly despite working well in the previous session after calibration. It's like MaximDL just forgets the settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
Very nice result Paul. I was thinking of changing SGP/PHD for MaximDL, but it is interesting to read you experience with it.

CFF makes quality flatteners that cover more than full frame sensors for their RCs and these are not as expensive as those from ASA and others.

Maxim is great for normal guiding and I really like the way you can make all the settings you need for guiding. It is when you use an AO that things get a bit trickier.

I am not sure who CFF is, who are they? I if you get back to me I will certainly look into their products.