View Single Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:54 AM
DJ N

Finally first light with the QHY8L

Finally a first light!! I cannot believe the cloud we have had lately, but finally got a chance to play with the QHY8L under the skies.

I found that there is a bit of a learning curve going from the 400D to the QHY8L. Trying to determine gains and offset etc.... but still managed to get a couple of shots off. I think from initial attempts, the camera has some potential.

The details are as follows...... taken in suburban Adelaide with a 98% illuminated moon!!

QHY8L 3x8 minutes at -10 degrees C (with Hutech IDAS LPS filter) plus one dark (and no flats). Imaged through the ED120. The images were captured via Ezycap (which is supplied by QHY), stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, then a quick and dirty process in PS.

The focus seems a tad off (I thought I had nailed it with the Bahtinov), but maybe the seeing wasn't the best, especially that Tarantula was not too high up at the time.

I also tried connecting the camera to try and utilise a trial copy of Nebulosity 2, however could not get the camera to connect. I used "Ascom Camera" but still did not seem to work (maybe user error )

All in all, fairly happy considering the moon and conditions, but want to try and get more comfortable using the CCD before new moon!!

Thanks for looking!

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (First Light With QHY8L.jpg)
154.0 KB185 views