View Single Post
Old 18-10-2020, 09:16 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_ View Post

The other thing I'd mention is that, like you I slew back to home in APT after PA in sharpcap, then solve and sync there,

I'd like to drill in on this actually. You go back to home position in APT after PA, platesolve and sync on the home position? How are you able to sync the PS results in the home position? I consistently, without fail, get an error when I try and sync coordinates platesolved in the home position, which is supposedly an EQMOD limitation (can't remember where I read this though.) As soon as I slew away from home/SCP, assuming a successful platesolve of course I have no issues syncing. So my issue comes down to: 100% success rate platesolving at the pole, 0% success rate syncing at the pole. 30% (maybe?) success rate platesolving away from the pole; 100% success rate syncing away from the pole. What's your trick to sync at home/SCP??

Hmmm.... so once I've done the 90deg RA turn for sharpcap, I slew roughly back to the SCP and hit another PS (I always do auto PS, using the planewave set of point data). I think it actually auto syncs everytime you PS. I hit sync manually each time too. It may be a rubbish synch, but its not far to rigel kent, and my understanding is the auto platesolve solves in a spiral out from where it thinks it should be, so that first solve away from the pole usually takes from 10 to 70 seconds... but usually under 25. I wish I knew of the trick I'm doing! If its not working for you, I'd give it a slight kink in Dec when slewing back after PA, just tohrow it off the smallest amount, and that will give it something to chew on and develop a model around.

The other back to basics thing is, how precise are you with levelling your mount? I was using an app for spirit level, but am now using a little clear spririt cube thing, and get things super level. In my mind, being out of level could make it harder for that first solve, and again, going a long way from home will open up that gap wider and wider if your mount is half a degree skewy.

Overall, I think a little move from the pole first up might help, and see that this is also being mentioned by others