View Single Post
Old 18-10-2020, 04:39 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Craig, my routine is exactly the same as yours except I use my main scope images for PS.

One thing that might be mucking you around here is the focal length setting in APT in "tools" tab, down the bottom. Do you have this set to the focal length of your imaging scope or guider? When i swap between OTAs for imaging, I need to change the FL here, or else my PS will not work (455 to 1000). I assume you are getting the feed from your imaging camera into APT? I'd definitely be using my imaging OTA for APT feed, and therefore platesolving. I use mine for sharpcap too.

So, my advice would be to find a way to approximate your focus point before setting up (maybe take a pic of the focuser draw tube during a session once you've focussed it?). It only needs to be close enough so that you can live view and dial it in with APT or sharpcap once you've turned it on. Once you're focused this will all be no problem at all. Maybe changing exposure times in either software will help with the solving/focussing intel too.

The other thing I'd mention is that, like you I slew back to home in APT after PA in sharpcap, then solve and sync there, then go straight to a nearby bright star (Rigel Kent), solve and sync and GOTO again, and it should be bang on. I focus properly there. If I go straight from a sync at the SCP to M8 or similar, I am sometimes a way off... I think you need to give the map a bit of space from the pole so it can chew on where it is, but if you go half way across the sky straight away, it can be miles off.

I hope that helps?
If not, I'd be happy to PM or chat!