View Single Post
Old 29-07-2019, 07:50 PM
RyanJones

Hi David and welcome,

I’ve been playing this game for about 18mths now and have been constantly upgrading my gear. Initially budget was a significant issue for me. Not that it isn’t now but just slightly less so. My advice would be to focus on a mount that is at least mildly future proof. It sounds like you’ve got this but covered with the 6. I have a HEQ5 pro that is pretty much maxed out with an 8” Newt and a 9.25 SCT. Thankfully that’s as large as I plan to go for a while. The 6 will see you able to go bigger than that in the future if you desire but also will be far more stable than mine even if you don’t move to large apature.

As far as the camera side of things goes. I image with an old modified DSLR and I plan to stay that way. I like the portability of this kind of setup. I also have a stand alone guider which means I don’t have or need a laptop to image. This is a bit plus for me.

As has been said, keep in mind all of the little extras you’ll need because they do ad up. I’ve recently bought a single 2” filter that set me back over $500 ! That’s not far off what I bought my 8” Newt for.

You’re going to have a ball when you get started and I’m looking forward to seeing your images and watching your progress !