View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaplacidus View Post
Yep, Rolf, you've got my vote for Astronomer of the Year.
Thank you Brian, glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Wow Ralf, brilliant
What will you come up with next?
The mind boggles
Cheers
Thanks Ron, I'm not sure what's next but I have borrowed an ST-7 from Auckland's Stardome Observatory so I'll play around with that if it clears up here. Now the clouds have rolled in for the next while it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I think the I's have it

Great project and nicely followed up Rolf

Mike
Thank you Mike I was surprised that my second image turned out so much better, but I think this target is quite sensitive to exposure time versus well saturation etc. There seems to be a sweet spot which is probably different depending on which camera/scope is being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by square_peg114GT View Post
Superb work, Rolf! You've really raised the bar.
Thank you very much Pegster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Rolf

Thanks for the follow up work and explanations, it has been quite an adventure just reading about your exploits.

I cannot imagine what you must have felt like in exploring the concept and possibilities of attempting this, and then achieving it so well.

Just in case you are wondering what to do next, here is a list of other resolved circumstellar disks that await your attention!

Cheers

Dennis
Thank you Dennis, it has been an adventure for sure! Very exciting project, and I never thought so much would come out of it.

I received some advice regarding the list of circumstellar discs from Karl Stapelfeldt, chief of NASA's Exoplanets and Stellar Astrophysics Laboratory which I posted to you and Steve over in the other thread. I'll repeat it here since it may interest others:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Stapelfeldt
Let me advise you a bit on which disks to try in the catalog. Many of them are only detected at radio or infrared wavelengths, have been tried with Hubble in visible light and not seen. You'd only be frustrated with those, so let me steer you away from them. For your equipment you need disks that are bright and large. I see that you are in New Zealand. The best targets to try for these criteria are AU Mic and HD 15115. Both are a good bit fainter than beta Pic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Been watching both threads with interest.
What can I say that hasn't already been said Rolf. Mind blowing, Gobsmacked or just plain old WOW. Setting the path for other amateurs to follow. It never ceases to amaze me what amateurs, amateurs? did I say amateurs? can and do accomplish - you will never never know if you never never go - simply inspiring.
Thank you very much Peter I always enjoy a stroll off the beaten path, you never know what might turn up. The best thing is that I've gotten quite a few messages from beginners having read the story and saying that this is what has prompted them to now go out and buy their first scope or camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross G View Post
Amazing work Rolf.

Ross.
Thank you Ross, glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's a milestone in amateur astronomy and you've got your name on it. That's what pioneers do. Kudos to you.
Thanks very much Marc It feels great to have achieved this. Who knows, in time it might be a regular occurrence for amateurs. Maybe someone can even discover a new disc one day.