View Single Post
Old 14-11-2010, 02:44 PM
DJ N

Looking for help in selecting an OSC CCD

Hi everyone,

I am looking to update from my stock standard DSLR. Initially I was considering a modded or modded and cooled DSLR from somewhere like Central DS, however, for a similar price, I see that there are a number of “entry level” CCD available. At this stage I am probably more inclined to go the one shot colour (OSC) version as opposed to mono plus filters (I do realise that you get much better resolution with mono plus narrowfield options).

I have been playing around with Ron Wodaski’s CCD Calculator software. From this, I really am hoping for a chip size similar to a DSLR. Whatever choice I do make, this will be for imaging predominantly with my Skywatcher ED120, and maybe occasionally with the ED80 for slightly wider field. In terms of mount, I am using an EQ6 Pro.

For comparative purposes, a selection of the CCD that I am currently investigating are as follows (this is more specific to the CCD chip as opposed to particular brand of the CCD itself),

QHY8-L 6MP 7.8um pixel size 1.79 arc seconds per pixel for the ED120, 2.68 arc seconds per pixel for the ED80

QHY9 8.3MP 5.4um pixel size 1.24 arc seconds per pixel for the ED120, 1.85 arc seconds per pixel for the ED80

QHY10 10MP 6.05um pixel size 1.38 arc seconds per pixel for the ED120, 2.08 arc seconds per pixel for the ED80

In addition, for imaging at home (rather than dark sky locations), I am assuming that I would still be able to utilise my Hutech IDAS LPS P2 light pollution suppression filter. Would this be the case?

Anyhow, my apologies for such a long winded question, but I really appreciate any feedback that anyone could provide.

All the best,

Daniel