Thread: Beggars
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 07:15 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post

Now, I was very used to being lied to (part of the job) and I think I was pretty good at sorting truth from BS. So I was able to see for myself the trajectory of the chronically unemployed and the results were totally unsurprising.

• the longer they had been unemployed the less they sought a job
  • people who had been in the workforce maintained their enthusiasm longer than people who had never had a job
  • if someone reached their mid-twenties and had never worked they were basically unemployable
This last group just never developed the self-discipline needed to work. You know what it's like to drag in on a Monday morning, what it's like to stick to an unpleasant task, what it's like to take orders from a goose etc etc. If you don't learn that young it gets harder and harder to do. Also, they start to decide they don't want a job, that they are too smart to work, they are just fine as they are. I believe that this last delusion is a way of protecting their ego: society hasn't rejected them, they have rejected society. And anyone who tries to tell them different, or even help them, is likely to get a dose of their pent up anger and frustration. This cohort will be a drain on society all their life, yet they too are victims of capitalism's inability to provide work for all.
Thanks Dude, I always believed this from my own observations (I live in a suburb surrounded by such). I lacked however, 1st hand knowledge from never having worked in this industry. Interesting to see suspicions confirmed - something that doesn't happen every day for me.

Why am I so invested? I can barely support my own family, yet my taxes pay for their life. I find it painful to reconcile...