View Single Post
Old 21-02-2019, 09:31 AM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have not had my guiding working well and as a result go for 30 second to 40 second subs.
At first that was the only option but haveing produced many images via short subs I really think short subs have an advantage.
If something goes wrong a little cloud, satellite plane or UFO☺ ruins a sub you only lose 30 seconds..cloud a little more..but I find I can select the best with ease...it does take time but often I just tell Deep Sky Stacker to stack only 75%.
My last image was littered with satellites up to three in one frame...I stacked thinking it would be neat to have an image with I guess 20 lines ☺ but Deep Sky Stacker eliminated them..I guess I must have left the percentage at 75% from a previous stack. ..but I doubt if I was doing day 5 minute subs I would have a decent image as I have expect all would have had satellite trails.

As to actually guiding check out youtube...there are many great tutorials...there is one in particular that if I can find it I will post it for you...
Alex

I am also trying ot depending on short exposures, but i don't know how many advantages with that over disadvantages anyway, one disadvantage is that i shoot from a light pollution area, and i do Narrowbadning, i do have one filter for 7nm Ha but my first one which i will use it back again later is 5nm, so those most likely need enough long exposures then, maybe minimum 2 minutes at best. Second thing i can think about it is that most targets here are best within 1 hour, if 2 hours then i will have few bad frames either due that target reached or passed the meridian, or they are already down into the LP dome so not good frames out, and because i am not good in plate solving yet then i am forced like to get the best data i have within 1-2 hours per night and not depending to have more data later, not with exact location of the target but can manage to bring it into the frame at least, so i was thinking maybe sometimes i want to have some long exposures of certain targets so i don't need to have so many smaller subs or need to go for multi nights.

In addition, when i look at let's say 95% of amazing mind blowing results i like for some or many targets i find out that imagers did use guiding even if they use high quality mounts and scopes, so i realize that guiding is always helping for better results, and someone in another forum answering someone else post just said that having 5 minutes is more than enough and no need to go for like 10-20 minutes subs even with high end and super dark sites, i kinda agree, many images i liked where within 5 minutes subs, and i looked at many longer subs and it wasn't so much way better anyway, some better and some not as much, so i felt it is better to be at reasonable time exposure that is not too much long and also not too much short, i found out that 2-4 are good times to play with, just in some cases i wish if i did guide my 2-3 subs as i see there is kind of trailing slightly.