View Single Post
Old 17-02-2013, 08:24 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Ray!

I really appreciate your reply to what is now a slightly old post. "Old" only in the sense that I have been reading quite a lot and have other cameras to consider, such as the cameras with the KAI4022 CCD, and perhaps a ICX694 chip. I'm sure that last camera would raise eyebrows; I only mention it because over at CN there have been some big discussions re the "myth" about resolution vs FL if one images with a great mount and minimal required guiding meaning terrific polar alignment. I saw some images with the ICX694 taken a f10 (2000mm fl) that looked pretty decent to me. I think the argument runs along the lines that the CCD is much more sensitive thus allowing quicker sub capture which might minimise star bloating. Well, that's the theory anyway. I would appreciate some additional points of view re this logic, or lack thereof... I think the ICX694 would be a very good match for my TEC140, but then so is my KAF8300, so I wouldn't bother unless it was superior at longer FL.

Anyway, I would appreciate an opinion of the KAI04022. I read that it isn't very sensitive to red and Ha, but I've seen some beautiful images with this chip especially those by Dietmar Hager: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/41-465-0-0-1-0.html and http://www.stargazer-observatory.com/bilder/

Re the 8300, no, I have not tried it yet. I need adapters and a guiding solution and I just don't want to invest, find out it doesn't work so well, and start over. Thought I do some serious asking first. Re binning, If I read your comments correctly, binning at 2x2, or software binning to 2x2 would give similar results assuming the camera takes care of 2x2 binning correctly (or better results if the camera doesn't handle binning properly). But, wouldn't capturing at 2x2 be a lot quicker and allow shorter exposures? I wasn't aware that software binning could increase SN ratio. Can you please explain how that is done? I assume it isn't the same thing as just reducing image size 50% in photoshop...or is it?

EDIT: I found some huge posts on the subject of software binning at CN....I think I know enough now that no further comments are necessary. Like everything in this lovely hobby the answers are varied, complex, not exactly clear, and full of conditions. So what else is new?

Sorry for so many questions! Many thanks,
Peter

Last edited by PRejto; 18-02-2013 at 11:06 PM.