View Single Post
Old 19-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Checked out P1 tonight, and its looking great!!

My skies are darker than when I observed it last, and tonight it was a large reasonably bright condensed blob, with elongation (tail thingy?) coming out from the ..... NE (if I reverse the look in the scope )

Tried for Comet Swan but no luck.

Tried the Comet Filter I bought from the US but minimal difference to Garrad, and didnt help in finding Swan.
Funny, I looked at P1 last night and thought it was dimmer than last time I saw it Liz, but my situation was reverse - worse skies than last time I looked! Still looked good though. Also saw SWAN, but it appeared tiny and very faint in my little scope. Had to use averted vision, maybe only an arcminute in diameter visible. Very pleased to eyeball it just because of the degree of difficulty, LOL.

Probably a more experienced comet observer can advise you, but I think P1 doesn't respond that well to the Swan Filter because it is very dusty. SWAN would because it is much more 'gassy', but it is faint and small and the filter is probably not such a good tool to track it down with.

Cheers -