View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
Hi Pete.
If you are finding the the camera end of the SCT is too heavy to achieve Dec balance then you might want to consider a counterweight to go under the nose of the SCT. https://www.bintelshop.com.au/Product.aspx?ID=7588

As you would have a vixen style dovetail already under your scope you would only need the counterweight and saddle. Though having an extra dovetail is always handy
Thanks for the thought Paul. My scope is a schmidt newt so it has the focuser/camera in the same place as a newt rather than at the back like a SCT.

But I think you are right about getting the weight-distribution right. I'm now thinking of adding weight on top of the scope directly opposite the camera.

So if the primary end of the scope is A and the secondary/focuser end B and the focuser is 1 and the guidescope side 2, I suspect I need to add weight to position B2 which I can achieve by slipping the guidescope up. That said, when the scope swings oddly, I feel I should add weight to the A2 end. It may well be that the weight distribution will change depending on where in the sky I am pointing.

I expect SCT people don't confron this issue.

Or perhaps I am trying to talk myself into a new OTA!

Pete