View Single Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:49 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Thanks for the detailed post, Greg. Totally understood all of it. I should point out that I have a 30D, not a 350D, but that doesn't really change much of what you're saying.

My current thoughts of modding my everyday DSLR are these...

If I get the clear glass:
- I'll need to always have a filter on for normal photography and for astro. I'll find that a pain. I do use CPL and ND filters a bit, but stacking them is undesirable and I figure the more glass between subject and sensor degrades image quality, even if only marginally.
- I'm not a fan of IR photographs of terrestrial subjects. Don't know why. I know I've seen some cool shots, very vivid skies/clouds and unusual looking trees/leaves. But it's just not my taste and can't see myself taking it up other than some test/novelty type shots.

If I get the Baader filter on the chip, for normal photography:
- I end up with reddish tones and will need to custom WB shots. This is not a huge problem and I do tweak WB for most shots anyway.
- Same amount of glass between subject and sensor as normal photography anyway, so I can't blame glass for sucky IQ.

Considering the above, I am thinking of waiting a little longer and getting a used 450D or something around there. By the time I get it they'll be reasonable price, they're light-weight and have the live-view. I'll get it modded with the Baader filter on the sensor, and that way I'll primarily use it for astro, but can use as backup if needed.

I do have a DSI II Pro now. I bought it for better/easier guiding capability with a view to future CCD imaging when I get more comfortable with things. I like the field of view of DSLR better than the CCD for now, and am thinking I'll always want a DSLR in the kit.