View Single Post
Old 13-06-2015, 09:56 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Overlooked but beautiful planetary in Hydra

Well, I fiiiiiinally got to try out my new set of latest design 6nm HaOIIISII Astronomik filters ...it took some time because I discovered I also needed to get the full LRGB set to match as the new design filters are thicker than the previous range and the SX filterwheel carousel can only secure filters if they are all the same thickness , the new design has the 1mm thick filters sitting in a 3mm thick un-threaded mounting ring.

The narrower band width was quite noticeable with higher contrast and smaller stars, to be expected I guess but no halos were noticeable either plus the new clean filters means I don't really need flats again (I took'em but tried with and without and no difference )

Peeerfect weather, ie no moon (until the wee hours) clear, cold and crisp (-4C when I left at 6am) and above average seeing, all night , went at it from 5pm to 6am including trying out my new 17.3mm Delos eyepiece in the 12" Dob while the AG12 chugged away....beeeeautiful

Anyway.....

This is a very little known (reasonably faint and small I guess..?) planetary nebula in Hydra, in fact I could only find one other (red light) photo of her on the net from the DSS

Here are a few of her stats:
Name: K1-22 (or PN G283.6+25.3)
Size on sky: 3 arc min
Magnitude: 13.6
Distance: 4300 Ltyrs
Diameter: 4 Ltyrs
Temp of central star: 115 000K

K1-22 (close up)

K1-22 (Full Frame)

I got well into another NB image too, of a much brighter and larger object, so I can test out the SII filter as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PK1-22 small.jpg)
77.7 KB250 views