View Single Post
Old 26-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Biggus (Richard)

Planetary eyepiece for a 203mm F/6 Dobsonian

Hi all, been lurking around reading threads for a short while and it's time for me to put my hand up and ask a question. I've just started getting into this whole stargazing lark and to this end recently purchased a Bintel (GSO) 8"/203mm Dob which came with 9mm and 15mm Plossls and a 2" 30mm Superview. I also subsequently got the 2" 2x ED barlow and a 35mm 2" extension tube since the Superview wouldn't focus unless you had the eyepiece hanging about 20mm out from a proper seating position.

I wear glasses but tend to observe without, and thus far I'm comfortable with the 30mm and 15mm eyepieces, the 9mm not so much since the eye relief is a little tight for my liking. In another thread here somewhere, I think it had to do with TMB planetary eyepieces, a clearly knowledgeable member stated something to the effect that these eyepieces were designed for telescopes that produce a convex focal plane such as cassegrains and refractors whereas newts produce a concave focal plane (I hope I remembered that correctly).

What wasn't touched upon from memory was precisely which eyepieces did suit Newtonians for planetary viewing, so.......looking for some eyepieces, at least a couple I guess since I don't much like the 9mm Plossl, so maybe a 9 and a 6 with nice eye relief to suit an 8" F/6 reflector. Another possibility I guess is to get a Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom if that would be suitable.

Thoughts please.