View Single Post
Old 14-08-2014, 03:23 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Filter attenuation is indeed a problem with the legacy cameras. That said, I've not found any issues with current systems that place the guide chip ahead of the filters.
I don't use filters other than Red often, mostly use clear. The real problem even in this situation of no filters is FOV and sensitivity of the guide chip. I guess in the end a better solution than dual chip is dual camera where a more appropriate (larger and more sensitive) guide chip can be used.

I suppose in the end my comment was taking aim at the usefulness of AO in the most requiring situations - long focal length. Like, in my case at 0.84"/pixel I'd really love to have AO and don't mind paying for it, but as focal length increases, FOV decreases, and guide stars become less available, so I'd be paying for something I can only use a third of the time. It's sort of the opposite of what is required. At shorter focal lengths it's pretty much guaranteed to have a suitable guidestar but the AO is less required. What someone with my situation really needs is a guide chip of similar size and sensitivity to my ST8 primary chip, but that's not really practical to do.