View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM
gregbradley

I suppose the end of my larger scopes must be about 2.4 metres off the ground. Hard to say if the ground effects are influencing the images at all or not. What is noticeable is the seeing and its effect on a long focal length scope.

Poor seeing is absolutely shocking and so bad the scope basically can't be focused.

So I suspect its a mild effect. I have put a fan on the scope in the past to disperse any ground effect and I could not see any difference.

I have a small concrete slab, a pier concrete slab that has a lot of steel in it and 914mm deep and about 900 x 900 or so. Then a Pegasus pier which is around 1.2 metres tall then the mount and scope.

Never had a problem from wind or shake or any vibrations. Solid as a rock.

Observatory is lightweight pine framing and colorbond roof and walls with aircell insulation. The roof has gaps around it due to the roll off structure so there is a small amount of airflow through that.

Spiders love the place. So do the mossies.

That's the observatory at home, at my dark site its simply a 200mm x 5mm thick steel pipe set in the ground 600mm and rapid set concrete then pavers for a floor. Again never had issues with vibrations. After all our mounts are well balanced.

Greg.