View Single Post
Old 25-02-2018, 06:20 PM
rrussell1962

It was interesting going over my notes for the past year. What stands out, to me at least, is that aperture does make a difference. What typically happens with my Obsession in Brisbane is that I take it out to around the same temperature as the house where it is stored shortly before sunset and it performs well for an hour. Then the temperature drops and it all goes to S*&t for an hour or so. Then is slowly comes up to speed and after 4 hours or so it is seeing limited and will basically do anything I want it to do. Oddly enough the Nexstar 8SE, despite the corrector plate, cools quicker than the VC200L - when cooled there is not a lot to choose between them, despite what "You Know Who" on Cloudy Nights might say. I have just acquired an ED100 and am looking forward to using it on doubles in the coming year. A lot of my double observations are part of my, incessant ongoing attempts to collimate my VC200L. I have the feeling that it is a very nice telescope, but a bit more fiddling with the Primary / Secondary spacing is needed, it does not "snap" into focus just yet. When it gets to that time of the year I will have a crack at Beta Muscae again.