Thread: Why go bigger?
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2011, 05:56 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binofied View Post

Adding the STL-11000 adds extra complication due to it's large field. I don't know if combo focal reducer & flattener for these scopes exist to mitigate the extra focal length making tracking etc harder. However I don't have any tracking error issues now so an extra 400mm or so shouldn't be to much worse.
The 11000 series sensors are 24x36mm (i.e. 43mm corner-to-corner). I have an ATIK 11002M and I think the SBIG STL series will be the same. To get best use out of such a chip, without vignetting, you have to give thought to just how much of the chip your scope can cover with a flat field. My main scopes are in the C14 size-range and their rear cell is 48-50mm I think (the EdgeHD1400 is a bit bigger than the C14). But then, a reducer or reducer/flattener is likely to bring that down to 40mm or so. The standard Celestron .63 reducer has a clear glass diameter of no more than 40mm. An AstroPhysics .67 is a little bigger but not much. That means that you have to seriously think about using 3" gear to get the coverage.
Peter