View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 PM
hikerbob (Bob)

For brissy based readers (and maybe elsewhere) Action Aluminium sell offcuts of aluminium and will cut to size but I don't know if there are limits on that. They often seem to have thin offcuts from quite large round stock.

I'm planning to try some hobbing so last time I was over there I picked up a number of offcuts. One is 255mm diameter and about 15 mm thick. Hardness may be a factor, I'm thinking of practicing hobbing on aluminium and once I've got the hang of it either trying to buy an offcut of brass/bronze of casting a blank. I've got a small stockpile of old brass fittings around that I've accumulated over some years. My casting skills are still at rank beginner level but that's something practice can fix.

I'm considering using the thread out of an old car jack for the worm but have not done anything to test how regular the thread pitch is. I've also looked into ACME rod, by local bolt place can get in 3/4" in 12 foot lengths for about $140 (I think, not quite what I need). It's supposedly very high quality.

I'm still thinking about what to do to hold a blank on for hobbing. I've got a 6" rotary table and I suspect that it might be a good base for the process in free running mode. Any thoughts from more experienced machinists?

Bob