View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

I haven’t read the Apollo fight manuals as yet, only the Project Mercury flight manuals but intend to eventually get around to reading them
As a kid growing up in the 60’s I watched most of the Gemini and Apollo missions on my parents tiny black and white PYE TV. My Aunt married a US marine on leave in Sydney and moved to the US in the late 40’s and eventually worked for Rockwell in LA who was a major Apollo contractor. She always sent across to me Space / Apollo related gifts for my birthdays.
I was immersed in the space race and the ultimate achievement of the human race setting foot on another celestial body

After retiring last year my wife and I , as part of a Canada / US trip , visited the Kennedy Space Centre over 3 days. The excitement that the Apollo program gave me as a kid was put into reality 50 years later touring through the KSC.These days the whole complex sits dormant with the exception of Blue Origin and Space X facilities but I could only image what is was like during Apollo era

As yes everyone has to get a photo standing below a Saturn 5 ( this one would have been Apollo 18 or 19 ?? ) The most incredible machine humankind has ever created , absolutely enormous !!!

Thanks for posting the article and I will certainly get around to reading the Apollo flight manuals

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (94A2BE39-F7C8-4428-8405-DBEBBE08C53C.jpeg)
161.3 KB69 views