View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 03:03 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Hi All,

Yes, at the imaging field of the Wiruna site, we have 240v power, with enough power to run 8-12 scopes and cameras for the night. You are also welcome to bring your own generators or batteries.

If bringing your own generator, a 25m (or more) power cord is advisable to get your generator away from the main area to limit intrusion to others.

Likewise, if you want to use the house power, bring your own 25m power cord.

The house power is batteries with inverter and a backup generator. We usually run the generator till around 10pm and then go silent on battery till morning.

I start the generator up again around 8am to revive the house batteries and let others recharge their own batteries.

As the field is designed for imaging, we have a "less strict" light policy (night blindness is a byproduct of looking at a computer screen). Please put your laptop's in some sort of box to restrict light bleed (The Reject Shop has a great storage box for under $10, see picture below), and dim your display, but no need for fancy red shields if you don't want. Also as we park cars and vans also on the field, there is no fancy certificate to say you car is dark approved etc. Dim white torches are ok, just keep them aimed towards the ground and not at other peoples equipment. Just be considerate of how your stray light affects others.

As Marc stated, a small UPS can be a worthwhile investment (something like http://ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/product...ucts_id=148270 ). This protects you against fancy footwork from fellow imagers who may inadvertently disconnect you temporarily at 2am, 28mins into a 30min subframe.

The house is a common area with kitchen, shower and toilets (and TV) for anyone to make use of. There is limited sleeping accommodation within the house on a first come, first served basis in a bunkhouse arrangement for around 12 people (8 bunks and 4 floor mattress). Just let me know ahead if you are thinking you want to use them.

I'm the "Field Marshal" for the Imaging Field (and expect to be addressed as such ) my caravan is the old white and green one next to the radio dish. I'll be there from around 1pm on Thursday, but others may be there from Wednesday night. If you are planning an early arrival please PM me.

None of the above applies to the main Wiruna observation field. They have there own stormtroopers policing their own very different rules.

Everyone is welcome at the imaging field, just turn right through the gate next to the main hall and continue down the track for about 500m.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180402_143552-1008x756.jpg)
130.5 KB26 views