View Single Post
Old 15-03-2010, 09:39 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

You can spend a lot of time trying to fix the dodgey one that came with the scope or just replace it with a quality unit. Like Alex I think the moonlites are a good choice (I own two). The manual two speed will do the job nicely as long as you get the brake fitted and make sure the drawtube has the 2" compression ring with three thumb screws to lock your camera in (0 flex or movement). The stepper drives with the moonlite controller are definately the go if you have the cash. The controller has both USB and serial connection options as well as built in temp sensor for temp compensation. The repeatability of these units is outstanding. The focusers are pretty to look at and built like tanks (I know my refractor fell 7 ft onto the ground last night, glad it landed on the moonlite...not a scratch). I often have my refractor racked out about 100mm and have never had any sag even with filter wheel, OAG, camera and field flattener on board. The drawtube length on a newt is much less so I imagine you could load the thing as much as you wanted without trouble (certainly up to 3.5kg). A good focuser is an excellent investment and you can move it from scope to scope . Trying to fix a substandard unit is just a pain in the behind.

Mark