Thread: Star Dust
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:00 PM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

Star Dust

Hello all,

Seeing Mikes latest great work featuring the light painted writing (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=126798) reminded me to post a shoot I did about three weeks ago now for an arts project I am currently involved in.
The project is called (We are all made of) Stardust and it is a collaboration between Murray Arts, the local indigenous community, the Astronomical Society of Albury Wodonga and myself. It involves three nights of presentations and star gazing to various local communities and then charcoal drawings will produced inspired by the presentations and star gazing evenings. You can read more about the project here if you wish: http://www.murrayarts.org.au/index.php/charcoal-night-2

We have had two evenings so far with one to go this coming week. On the first night the project director requested that I do an image that they could use in promotional material and send to the organisation that gave them the grant. The idea was to sort of recreate my "Beam Me Up" image (in the above link) that they used in the pre-promotion of the event. So we gave each of the kids there (about 30) a sparkler to wave around in the dark. We split them into groups of about five each and I did a series of long exposures to capture the sparklers lit up. Due to the extreme difference in brightness from the sparklers and the stars I was not able to capture it all in one image (unlike "Beam Me Up" which was done using a small low powered head torch), so once the kids had had their turn I did one exposure for the sky without moving the camera. I then asked one of the kids to have a go at writing the words Star Dust with my red light head torch. It took a couple of goes for her to get the letters the right way round but in the end she did a great job.

So sorry for the long post but here is the finished result.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IISwebstardust.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	171025

Canon 6D and 14mm lens. One 30 second exposure at ISO 100 and F/4 for the kids with the sparklers and the foreground. One 30 second exposure at ISO 3200 and F/2.8 for the sky. And two exposures for the words "Star" and then "Dust".

Cheers

Greg