View Single Post
Old 16-10-2019, 07:49 AM
HeavyT

Thanks Raymo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Not really enough info Todd. I assume that you stacked darks and maybe flats
with each different group, and enough of them. DSLRs have a sweet spot for
astrophotography, which is the point on an ISO graph where the two different types of noise intersect. With popular Canon DSLRs it is usually 800, 1000,
or 1600. For example the EOS 1100D is 1600 and the EOS 600D is 800.
The further you deviate in either direction from the sweet spot, the more noise you will get, so your choices will not get a really good result, especially
If you are using in camera noise reduction, and hence no darks, it is fine to stack different sub lengths and ISOs simultaneously.
If using darks, flats, etc, you need to stack them separately.
raymo
Thanks Raymo

I will go hunting for an ISO graph for my Nikon to see where that wmsweet spot lies. Hopefully with shorter exposures at higher ISO I can build up the same signal strength I was seeing at 600s, because it looks phenomenal.

The second stack seemed a little better but still too noisy for 8hrs. I do need to catch up on dark and flats as I didn't shoot any of these for 600sec. Also will try to stack in groups - have never used that function before, always got away with stacking everything in the one list, and have rarely used any darks, flats etc. But I've never gone to 600 seconds before.

Clear skies mate