View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
Hi Ray

I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't have a solution. When images are put on the web you have no way of knowing what they will look like on the viewer's monitor.
I use a calibrated Eizo monitor, the ProPhoto colour profile in Photoshop and then print on a calibrated Epson printer. My images, astro and non astro, look like I want them to be, but they don't look the same if I change them to jpeg and send them to the web for someone else to look at.
As an example, I have posted a Ha image of NGC 2070, the Tarantular nebular, on the "Beginners Images" section. All the fine detail is lost, as is the subtle change in contrast due to the change to jpeg. It looks pretty good on my monitor as the original, but is so so on site. Don't forget this is a monochrome image, forget about colour.
In the end I think this hobby is about having images that you can enjoy yourself. If you want others to see them be aware of the pitfalls unless you are willing to send out prints you have made yourself.
It's good fun though and don't we learn a lot on the way.

Cheers

Greg
Thanks Greg - yes, looks like you might be right, there is no solution.

I guess the position that I am coming to is that, for posting purposes, I should be using software that has colour management and an sRGB gamut, to compose images on an sRGB capable screen that is running in sRGB mode. This should yield images that will display best on the average PC/laptop. Using any other gamut, either for composing the image or displaying it will yield sub standard results when posting, even though other gamuts may be better for some forms of printing. Would you agree with that?

At this stage, I think that my 6 bit IPS monitor with 8 bit interpolation should be quite sufficient, provided I can calibrate it to ensure that I am getting a reasonable amount of the sRGB gamut. If I get a more capable monitor, I will need one that can be easily switched between gamuts, since sRGB will still be the most accurate for viewing web pages and JPEG images and it will still be best for composing images for posting. From that perspective, does your Tarantula image look any better if you view over the WEB with your monitor switched to sRGB?

regards Ray

Last edited by Shiraz; 04-12-2015 at 09:31 PM.