View Single Post
Old 30-11-2015, 07:56 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Ray,

If I display your original image on my wide gamut (only a smidge away from full AdobeRGB) display with colour management disabled then the background is ugly with a blotchy coloured background. The blues in the galaxy also look a lot more cyan. With colour management enabled it looks fine.

With colour management disabled, the version with the desaturated background looks much better but the galaxy colour is still too cyan. The spatial filterered version looks as bad as the original.

If I view one of my own sRGB images with colour management disabled the blues also look too cyan and the background is OK apart from being a little bright. I believe this is because I go to some effort to desaturate my backgrounds.

It would be interesting to see how the image looks on your screen without colour management. If you have Photoshop you can set your working space to something other than sRGB and tick the Profile Mismatches/Ask When Opening option in the Color Settings dialog, then use the Discard the embedded profile option when you open the image.

You seem to be doing everything by the book and I can't see how you could improve your workflow apart from stomping more heavily on the background.

Cheers,
Rick.