View Single Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:29 AM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Alan,

sorry there's been no other replies, so I'll offer my 2c worth. Firstly I don't know what the HR means - sorry. Normally, bins and scopes are described as multi-coated or fully multi-coated. The first means just the lenses are coated while the FMC means all surfaces that light could bounce of are multi-coated. So FMC is the best of these two clearly. And most binocs are fully multi-coated these days anyway, - but worth checking.

AOE have always been really good to deal with in the past, but more than once I've read about people having much trouble getting thru to them. And now seems to be one of those times according to another thread on here right now. Bintel or Andrews have very similar ranges at similar prices.

As for advice about which pair - hmmm !

Bigger is often better, but then you need a mount to keep them steady. So for mininal outlay, I'd probably start with a pair of hand-held 10x50 or similar. And a deck chair and blanket to aid in the viewing process, as you'll need to be comfortable and warm if you're to give this hobby the chance it deserves.

When you're hooked, a pair like this will further enhance your enjoyment of star-gazing .... hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0895_4.JPG)
79.6 KB116 views