View Single Post
Old 20-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Gavin1234

Whats this stuff?

I think this might be related to an ongoing problem Ive asked about before.

Whenever I image something with a lot of background (Helix and NGC253) I seem to get similar problems. No such problems on any other targets e.g. Horsehead, Orion, Lagoon etc. etc.

Anyone able to tell me what this background stuff is? Conditions weren't great last night but they weren't this bad. This is 59 X 5 min subs taken over 2 nights (mainly last night). I took 250 new bias, 30 new darks and 70 new flats. I get the same result with or without the calibration frames only with dust motes if I don't add flats. There were no additional light sources last night compared to nights Ive taken my other images. Guiding was as normal and I was dithering every frame. Looking at the colour I thought it might have been a debayering problem but Ive gone through all the settings and they seem fine.

I've also added a picture of my best effort trying to process this crap so far. There is literally no colour in the galaxy at all. When I pull up anywhere in the saturation curve of through colour saturation it will increase colour everywhere like in the attached version.

Automatic background extraction wont get rid of it, nether will dynamic background extractor or colour calibration. I can only hide it.

I've included a dropbox link to the original untouched stack in case anyone is willing to have a go at this for me and shed some light on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzvw4njsrd...ched.xisf?dl=0

They're all drizzle integrations but I get the same result with the image files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (drizzle_integration_ABE_STF small.jpg)
83.6 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (Best Effort Small.jpg)
122.4 KB70 views