View Single Post
Old 26-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Wavytone

Jacob, Personally I drive home. It is too darn cold up there for camping any time of year. Have a good cup of tea (I take a thermos), and leave by 11 or 12 and the drive home is easy.

4 places where you can camp:

1. Euroka camping ground, in the national park south side of Glenbrook. Downside there - its not very dark - too close to civilisation.
2. Blackheath, within the town it is possible to camp at Blackheath Caravan Park in Prince William St, right next to the olympic pool.
3. Lake Lyell camping ground - good dark skies, but its in a valley so the horizons are terrible.
4. Newnes camping ground, a long drive on a dirt road north of Lithgow up the valley to reach this. Also walled in by cliffs.

More useful though for you:

A. Mt Blackheath lookout, at the north end of Shipley Plateau, this is a real dark sky site and at the end of the road there are NPWS tables and benches and fireplaces. As its a dead-end road, set up scopes on the road or if you like, use the paraglider launch (sloping green astroturf).

B. Hargraves lookout, has a spectacular 270 degree horizon. North horizon isn't so great but is OK. No fireplace and no camping. https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7...s-lookout-pano

C. Mt Banks picnic area and carpark. As long as you are NOT camping this is OK.

I've used all 3 for observing over several decades.

If you can find the $$$ to do it, rent one of the Woolshed Cabins in Centennial Glen (below Mt Blackheath), make it a family thing or with friends... this is a nice spot to observe and the cabins are very comfortable.

Last edited by Wavytone; 26-06-2018 at 05:15 PM.