View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM
hookedonsaturn

G'day Well just thought i would drop in let you know from this point on I will be known as the guy that asks all the dumb questions.I have just gotten into astronomy .I have a 8 inch reflector one of the cheapies from australian geographic.The real fun starts with trying to identify the constelations.Haveing been raised in the northern hemisphere i didn't even know where the southern cross was. Had a mate come out and help me set up the scope and on the first night I saw the rings of saturn something i had dreamed of doing since i was a kid.The night just got better,off to jupiter and its 4 moons,then into the jewel box.All in one night a trip through the heavens.What amazed me was getting an understanding of the distance and time for the light to reach us.We are watching the universe unfold as it was. Someday hopefully i will get a bigger and better scope and be able to get the fantastic shots some of the members take.but for now its study ,learn and enjoy one of the greatest pleasures in life ,the feeling of being amongst the stars.