View Single Post
Old 16-05-2012, 02:19 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Allan, what mount are you using?

Alot of imagers are now using Pulse guiding tech, which is exactly what the loadstar is refering to aka. the usb is to get the data from the chip of the guide cam to maxim/phd what ever for analysis, then though the computer to the mounts normal control is where the guiding commands come down.

Its far better and allows better control from what i have been told. I don't know any different as i have used EQmod and pulse guiding since day dot.

I have a USB dedicated to the guider and ccd and one cable for the mounts hand paddle to the pc. all power sits directly below so i have 3 USB cables only that extend from the mount/telescope. I could drop that down further but because im fussy I like to keep the data streams seperated to avoid conflicts in I/O and emf noise issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Allan,

If you already have your computer driving a goto mount via a serial cable, you can use this to send the guide commands and only need the one (USB) cable to the Lodestar. That's how I do it using Maxim (Autoguider control via Telescope setting).

Cheers,
Rick.
Thanks for the replies Brendan and Rick.
Brendan at the moment I have a losmandy G11 and can either use pulse guiding through Losmandy gemini via ascom or a GPUSB connection to the st4 port using my DSI II Pro camera which only has a usb connection to the computer.
Currently Im using PHDGuiding which recognises the Lodestar but Im not sure if I can guide thru the mounts serial connection a la Maxim using PhDGuiding.