View Single Post
Old 17-06-2010, 10:00 AM
bloodhound31

Widest and fastest lens without curvature

I posted this on a photography forum, but Troy suggested I ask the knowledgeable folks here and I reckon you guys would have a better understanding of the photographic intent at night. I thought I might elaborate a bit more to give the full picture and therefore get better answers.

I am looking for the best lens for the 5DMKII (I'm getting this very soon) to get in as much night sky as possible (Milky Way shots) without having the field curvature/distortion.

The other night I was out with a beautiful view of the milky way from horizon to horizon, a nice treeline, a rocky hill in the background and a lone pine tree in the foreground. I wanted to get a lot of that in, but all I could get was the top of the stinkin' tree and a small section of the centre of the milky way bulge.

I HATE the fisheye effect and need a lens that is fast, wide and straight all the way to the edges. A little bit of vignetting at 16mm on a full-frame sensor is normal I understand and forgivable, as the long exposures will be pretty dark anyway.

Any suggestions? 16-35? 10-22? Canon L series? Sigma? Other?

Any slower than F/3.5 is not an option. Currently using a 400D with a kit 18-55 F/3.5 lens and had a gutful of it. Got to move on to the 5D and another lens for this, PRONTO!

CAVEAT: I still need just a little flexibility to zoom for normal daytime stuff, so I am thinking the 16-35 is my best option so far... I do need to be able to shoot in a room without having to knock out a wall to get it all in. I'm not getting rid of my existing gear so I will still have the 400D and kit lenses to do the in-between daytime stuff.

Baz.