View Single Post
Old 26-12-2020, 02:55 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetts View Post
Yes, good point Dunk. I must say I haven't spent as much time so far on polar aligning as I'd hoped. As I was trying to capture Jupiter/Saturn it was roughed out with compass and inclinometer during the last light of day. Had a quick play after taking shots of planets to see if I could smarten it up but got lost a few times. I'm very much a conceptual person so the rote learning of drift this way move this way wasn't working for me but since I found a good article on this site about alignment I think it is now forming in my minds eye. I'll have another crack tonight if the sky permits.

Hope you guys had a great Christmas.
Your Synscan hand controller has an in built feature for polar alignment if you want to use it. I’ve used it for over 3 years now and get my PA error below an arc minute every time in about 5 minutes or so
Originally I used a centering eye piece ( Orion 20mm 70 deg illuminated reticle eye piece) for alignment for the first year which was excellent then after that used my DSLR on BYEOS which I still use to this day. There are numerous ways to polar align using software and cameras etc but the Synscan is free it’s included in your hand controller, all you need for now is a good centering eye piece like the one above.
I have a step by step procedure for Synscan Polar alignment routine if your interested
Let me know
Cheers
Martin