View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
edwardsdj (Doug)
Doug Edwards

The critical thing with deep space astrophotography is a robust mount with good tracking. In due course you will need a guidescope and possibly other cameras mounted on it.

Your budget is really too restrictive to get seriously into it.

The mounts on those 8" Newtonians I suggested are a bit small for an OTA of that size/mass. There's certainly no room to expand. They would be great for planetary imaging and some deep space (with some effort).

I suggested them because they looked of similar price to the scope you originally mentioned.

Be aware that an 8" Newtonian on a german equatorial mount will have very awkward eyepiece positions for visual use.

The EQ6 by itself seems to be about at the limit of your streched budget. Personally, I'm saving for the EQ6 myself so I can get a rigid mounting for my C8 and have capacity left for a guidescope.

As Mike suggested, an 80mm ED refractor on the EQ6 would be very nice. You'd have to expand your budget considerably though and visually you wouldn't see much compared to an 8" Newtonian (eyepiece position would be friendlier though). In future you could add a larger apeture OTA to the mount.

If you really want to get equipment that's going to do the job, I'd get the EQ6 as Mike suggests. If you must keep to this budget you will have no choice but to compromise considerably.