View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 PM
Fox

Hi Jason

I am very interested to know of your experience with the mount. I’m wanting to upgrade and like the idea of dual AZ-EQ ability. My immediate need is visual only and AZ seems more grab and go, but I would also like the potential for AP later on.

I’ve weighed up all the AZ-EQ options (Skywatcher, iOptron iEQ45, Rainbow, HobyM, Avalon), and I’m coming down to Skywatcher or Avalon. The AZEQ6 is just too heavy, whilst the AZEQ5 just doesn’t look as well built as its big brother. This leaves the M-Zero, and cost aside, it looks to be a big step up in terms of engineering, precision and finish, and in an amazingly lightweight mount. I have a few questions specifically as they relate to my Televue NP127is:

1) For visual use, the NP127is weighs in around 9kg, and I reckon it will punch into the 10-11kg range by the time a DSLR and guidescope are added for AP. I am sure the M-Zero can handle 11kg in AZ mode, but in EQ mode for AP, do you think it is over stressing the mount (given the max AP payload is rated as 8kg).

2) As you can see in the photo, the NP127is is on the longer side, and extends about 50cm from the centre balance point to the end of the diagonal. Will the length be a problem, particularly if the scope is pointing towards the Sth celestial pole, will the scope collide with the mount or tripod legs ?

3) Because the scope is on the longer side, will the moment/vibration of the scope be problem with the M-Zero ?

Avalon says none of the above will be a problem, but I am not totally convinced and want to gather direct user experience, you can never do too much homework at this level. An alternative is the M-Uno, but it weighs just as much as the AZEQ6, or opt for separate mounts - one AZ and one EQ.

Thx, Fox
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4550.jpg)
74.6 KB23 views

Last edited by Fox; 01-07-2020 at 10:37 PM.